Move over avocado toast, this breakfast salad is coming in hot! With soft-boiled eggs over a succulent bed of greens topped with creamy avocado, sweet sprouts, and crunchy radish moons, you’ll never want to eat anything else for breakfast again.
THE BEAUTY OF THE BREAKFAST SALAD IS TWOFOLD:
1 — Hello! You’re eating greens with breakfast. Most breakfasts include refined grains like cereals or breads that spike our blood sugar first thing in the morning, setting us up for sugar cravings all day. Eating a plant-based breakfast is a huge win, and an incredible way to start your day.
2 — It is so versatile. Think of the ingredients below as primary components to start. You’ve got your base—greens, and your creamy—avocado (or try hummus or yogurt). You’ve got your eggs, which can be soft-boiled, poached, fried or scrambled. You’ve got your crunchy—could be radishes, onions, or nuts; and your sweet—think roasted yams, carrots, beets, or dried fruit; and other veggies and toppings as you’d like. I like to prepare mine ahead of time so it’s as easy as opening up my fridge in the morning. For fun ideas, head down to the Saturday Farmers Markets to pick up local, in-season ingredients to play with—packing a nutritional punch while supporting local farms.
THE BREAKFAST SALAD
8 cups mixed greens (I used 1 head kale + 4 cups salad mix)
1 purple radish (I got it in my farm box from Boldly Grown Farm), could also use 6–8 regular red radishes, sliced thin
½ cup cilantro leaves
½ cup microgreens or sprouts
2 avocados, sliced
Aged balsamic vinegar, for drizzling (optional, but delicious)
LEMON GARLIC AIOLI
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
BREAKFAST SALAD FORMULA
Crunch (radishes, nuts, onions, sauerkraut)
Smooth (avocado, hummus, yogurt)
Sweet (roasted yams, carrots, beets)
• Leave the eggs on the counter until they are at room temperature. Bring a pot of water to boil, and add a pinch of salt and baking soda.
• Once the water is boiling, gently lower the eggs into water and boil for 6 minutes.
• Transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water. Peel, if using right away, or place in fridge with salad until ready to eat.
• Assemble the greens (i.e. kale, chard) into four bowls, chopping if needed.
• Top with the soft boiled eggs, radish, cilantro, microgreens/sprouts, and avocado.
• Whisk together lemon garlic aioli, and season with salt and pepper.
• Drizzle aioli and balsamic vinegar over salad. Enjoy!
For more content like this check out our Recipes section here.