These sautéed clams with corn and tomatoes are the perfect end-of-summer recipe. Local clams from Taylor Shellfish are sautéed with white wine, ripe cherry tomatoes, and sweet corn until the clams just barely open up. Make it a meal with some charred bread and a chilled glass of white wine. For more recipes like this visit littleferrarokitchen.com.
- 2 pounds of little neck clams, soaked and scrubbed
- 1 ear of corn, husk and silk removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small bulb of fennel, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- ¼ cup of water or stock
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Fresh parsley leaves, chopped for garnish
- Grilled bread for serving
- Begin by cleaning the clams by scrubbing each one and placing them in a bowl of cold water for at least 30 minutes. This will help remove the sand.
- Next, grill the corn in a dry skillet or grill pan until there are nice char marks on all sides. Once done, remove corn, cut off the kernels, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and chopped shallot and sauté for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, to soften but not caramelize.
- Add the sliced fennel and butter and cook for 3-4 minutes so the fennel begins to soften as well. Season with salt and pepper and pour in the white wine and reduce slightly, for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a few minutes so they begin to soften and their juices start to develop.
- Next, add the clams by picking them out of the water instead of pouring them, which can lead to sand going back into the clams. Toss everything together and add the charred corn kernels and stock.
- Cover with a lid and cook until the clams just open up, anywhere from 7-10 minutes depending on how large the clams are.
- Once clams open, discard any that are still closed. Turn off heat and garnish with a squeeze of lemon juice and chopped herbs.
- Serve with lemon wedges and grilled bread.