Yield: Serves 6
Prep: 20 minutes
Panzanella is a pleasant, summertime salad ideal for putting stale bread to good use. Didn’t quite finish your loaf from Breadfarm? “Waste not want not” is never better with this cool, sweet, and savory Italian bread salad featuring a medley of produce from Skagit Valley growers. Here, ripe blueberries from Bow Hill Blueberries and cantaloupe from Red Shed Farm are complemented by fresh basil grown at Blanchard Mountain Farm.
- 6 cups stale bread, ¾” cubed*
- 2 pints fresh Bow Hill Blueberries
- 3 cups cantaloupe
- 1 cup basil, chiffonade
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Bow Hill Blueberry pickle brine
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, soak the red onion in the Bow Hill blueberry pickle brine. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and salt. Add the onions and the brine. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well. Let rest at room temperature at least 20 minutes prior to serving.
* Make sure to use bread that’s at least one or two days old, as it will absorb the moisture from the fruit and dressing while holding its shape. Fresh bread will become soggy and dissolve.
For more recipes, visit our Dine section here.